Pages

Search This Blog

August 30, 2017

Apple Cider Scones | Our New Fall Favorite


It has been a while since I have come up with a new scone recipe.  We've been very happy sticking with the classic Orange Cranberry, and Pecan & Maple for breakfast, but the verge of a new season has me craving my all time favorites, Apple Cider Donuts.  I've made them at home (remember last year?), but the real deals are from Dunn's Cider Mill and they don't start making them until mid-September.  

**If you are new here as part of the Fall Recipe Series, welcome!  


It dawned on me that I could reduce apple cider into more of a syrup consistency (by boiling it for 5-10 minutes), then use it in scones to give them that unmistakable flavor (plus some nutmeg + cinnamon), and also use it in the glaze.  The result was so yummy.  I made them in mini size to go with coffee in the morning - and this size is a little easier for kids to eat/hold.


We made these on a Friday after noon after picking apples that morning.  


I promise this is leftover glaze that was not used on our gifts...

I packed them up in a cello back, tag & ribbon (here, in my store>) to take to our friend's for dinner that night as a hostess gift.  I love bringing breakfast for hostess gifts - a great thing to wake up to the morning after being exhausted from entertaining.

In my online store, along with packaging supplies, you'll find all of my essential baking supplies like the Natural Unbleached Parchment Sheets that fit perfectly in my Baking Sheets.  They make baking (and cleaning up!) so easy.  Shop my Baking Essentials >

Apple Cider Scones


1 cup of Apple Cider

.....

2 cups plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup cold heavy cream
1/4 cup of apple cider reduction

1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
.....

1/4 cup of apple cider reduction

2 tablespoons of butter

1 cup confectioners' sugar



Apple Cider Reduction : 

Reduce the Apple Cider in advance, so it can cool.  Pour the cider in a saucepan and simmer on medium until it reduces by half to an almost maple syrup constancy.  Do not let it get too thick or it will burn!  It should take about 10 minutes.  Pour it in a glass bowl and let it cool in the fridge/freezer for 20-30 minutes.


For scones :

In a mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt using the paddle attachment.  Cut the cold butter into 1/2 inch pieces.  Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix on low until the butter is mixed in and is the size of peas.  


In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, cider reduction, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and whipping cream with a fork.   I do it in a pourable measure to make it easy to add to the flour/butter.
 Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the cream and egg mixture - you may not use it all.  Turn off the mixer once added and dough comes together.


Put some flour on the counter.  Turn the dough out onto the floured surface.  Add some flour onto the top of the dough, then pat it out into a disk - about 8-9 inches in diameter.  


Cut the disk into 6-8 pieces like a pie for standard size scones.  For Minis, as shown here, cut each of the 6-8 pieces in half.


Separate the pieces and put them on parchment ($8 for 100) lined essential baking sheet ($8).  Bake at 400 degrees for Minis (as shown) 12-14 minutes, for Standard, 15-17 minutes.  



Reducing the apple cider + butter for the glaze.  Because I didn't make enough in my first step (I was doubling the recipe) I had to make another batch of reduced cider for the glaze, so I just did it in the saucepan.

For Glaze : 

In a microwave safe bowl, heat cider reduction and butter for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until butter is melted.  Add powdered sugar and stir until smooth.  Add more powdered sugar or more cider for desired consistency.  Should be drizzle-able, but not too runny.


Helper drizzling the glaze.



I think this is going to be my standard size - more glaze per bite ratio.


Photos from Apple Picking in Weston :







Thanks for stopping by today : )




Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls by Ella Claire | Rustic Apple Cranberry Pie by Anderson and Grant |
Apple-Cranberry Slab Pie by Inspired by Charm | Apple Donuts by A Burst of Beautiful 

Easy Apple Dumplings by Craftberry Bush | Apple Crisp by House 214 Design |
Apple Cider Scones by Everyday Occasions | Apple Fritter Skillet Bake by Nest of Posies |
Rustic Apple Tarte Tatin by Maison de Pax

Paleo Apple Crisp by Nesting with Grace | Crock Pot Applesauce by My Sweet Savannah |
Gluten Free Apple Crisp by City Farmhouse |
Baked Breakfast Apples with Oatmeal by French Country Cottage |

No Churn Apple Pie Ice Cream by Boxwood Avenue | Bird's Nest Apple Pie by Zevy Joy |
Apple Upside Down Spice Cake by Love Grows Wild

5 comments:

  1. I never thought to reduce apple cider, but that is genius! I am going to keep that in my back pocket this season! These scones look delightful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish EVERYTHING in life could be covered with that glaze. These scones look amazing! A perfect fall treat for any time of the day.

    xo Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound incredible! It has been years since I've had a scone, but this recipe sounds like one that I need to try this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious. I've made your other scone recipes and they are favorites. I'll be making these beauties as soon as the weather cools a bit here in SoCal.
    Thank you.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth3:07 PM

    I'd love to see a printable version of your recipes on the blog. That way I could just click to print the recipe only instead of parts of the blog post, too. Just a suggestion! I always love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ Jenny Steffens Hobick. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign