Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken | Barefoot Contessa Cooking for Jeffery




Like most Januarys, I'm ready to start trying some new recipes and looking for new inspiration.  During the holidays, we crave those comfort, nostalgic meals that we mix into our December rotation.  When January rolls around, I can't wait to freshen things up, spend some time in the kitchen and start experimenting again.  Laurie surprised me with the new Barefoot Contessa cookbook the day it came out and I've dog-eared many pages that I've been itching to try.  

Her newest version of Roasted Chicken did not disappoint.  The method is using a cast iron skillet, lining the bottom with lemon and onion slices, then placing the chicken on top and roast it in the oven.  Midway through, add white wine to the pan and continue roasting.  The lemons and onions in the bottom of the pan were transformed during cooking in the juices that dripped on them from above.  Completely delectable - and healthy dinner.


The Barefoot Contessa's Skillet-Roasted Lemon Chicken (original recipe here)

Of course, I altered the recipe a bit from the original to fit our tastes and what I had on hand.  I don't really like dissecting a whole chicken, so I used two bone-in/skin-on breasts and thighs.  She calls for whole fennel seeds to rub on before roasting which Mike does not care for (at all!), so I left out.   However, I also made her Seafood Stew a couple of days later and which called for sauteed fresh fennel, which we both loved.  My thyme plant had the smallest, most minuscule bit on it, so I used what I could.  My cast iron skillet is not large enough, so I used my cast iron dutch oven (staub) and it worked perfectly.




I made Colorful Roasted Carrots to accompany, one of Emma's favorites.


And Braised Green Beans.


And Mashed Potatoes (insert cheesy face emoji).  I put a touch of goat cheese in my classic recipe and it added a terrific bite.  Emma barely noticed - but she did.  She said she could tolerate.


It was quite a spread for a Monday night dinner.


 My best helper!  I can't wait for you to try this recipe - I'm telling you, it was so easy and de-lish.

2 comments:

  1. I made the same last week but recruited my hubby to help with the cutting of the backbone.;) And we aren't fennel fans either so I adapted it too. It's a great recipe! http://atthefamilytable.com/2017/01/skillet-roasted-lemon-chicken/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw her make this on her show and have been wanting to try ever since - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ Jenny Steffens Hobick. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign