The Everyday Occasions Store:
our new kitchen details
tour of our home
browse my recipes
Shop the store
the everyday occasions store
IMG3264 IMG1314
botanical prints, $4-6
cozy fall essentials
IMG3064 IMG3091
block print block print
Turkey Prints, $4-6
Pillow Covers, $28-36
IMG2983 IMG8
The Softest throws, $80-90 cozy home ideas
Slate Wreath Collection
Wheat Wreath Collection
OakLeaf AcornPrint
Oak Leaf acorn print
petite tart pans, 10 for
baking baskets, 6 for $14.50
Autumn Essential Scarves, $14
natural parchment, 100 for $10
grocery list tablet, $8
classic tablet + lepens, $14
dinner planning tablet, $14
weekly planning tablet, $14
kitchen essentials
clean bottles collection
m17 m12
pastry bag roll of 100 baking sheets & parchment
platter collection, $150
baking supplies
m23 m24
baking supplies bread board collection

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The Best Super Soft Buttercream Icing + Robin's Egg Enamelware is Coming Back Tomorrow!

Super Soft Buttercream Cupcakes

As I get older, I find that I am particular about the strangest things.   A recent development is too thick, too sweet, too much icing on cupcakes.  I mean, how strange to care!  Get a life, right?!  Except.  Except, I no longer look forward to eating cupcakes at bakeries or birthday parties because I know they are all going to be the same - a huge amount of very sugary, very thick icing.

The worst part is that I've been a culprit.  I've shown you how to pile big swirls of buttercream on top of cupcakes because they look great - "just like a professional bakery."  Well, I'm sorry.  Today I'm redeeming myself.  Today, I'm showing you how to make a soft, luscious, creamy buttercream - the kind that you can't see teeth marks in after you take a bite, the kind that swoops and sags a little because it is so soft and delicious.  The kind that looks like a homemade cupcake - and looks better for it.

Robin's Egg Blue Enamelware & Lilacs... tomorrow!

Some of you might have noticed the Robin's Egg Blue Tray ($22) that these cupcakes are sitting on... that's right the Enamelware is coming back in stock tomorrow!  I will have the same items I've had the last couple of years, as well as some new pieces.  There are also some new Lilac Linens that I'm crazy about (and are so so great for Mother's Day!).  I'll see you in the store tomorrow morning at 6 AM CDST.

UPDATE : These are now available!  Visit my store to shop >

See how the icing falls a little.  Soft and so yummy.  To achieve the look, I've provided my recipe, then follow it with the method for achieving the look - super easy.

Super Soft 

Makes enough frosting for 14-18 cupcakes.

1 stick of butter, softened
1 stick of butter, melted
1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
*vanilla or almond extract, optional

In a mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together softened butter with powdered sugar.  When combined, begin adding melted butter until you've reached the consistency you would like.  There is a bit of trial involved with this method - if you feel it is too thick, add more melted butter.  If you feel it is too thin, add more powdered sugar.  You are going for a tad thicker whipped cream consistency.

I've recently added a new 18" pastry bag that comes in the roll of 100 (like my roll of 12").  My sister pointed out that the 12" are too small for a typical batch of buttercream icing.  So, here you go Jill!

I started with chocolate cupcakes from a boxed mix and baked them in my Brown Jumbo Cupcake Papers.

Start with a blob of icing in the center, then continue adding icing until...

You get about this much.

Then here is the trick to loosen it up and give it that relaxed, homemade look.  Tap the icing on the counter (or on your hand) until it smooths out and spreads on its own, to the edges.

See how pretty and soft?  

I added some pansies from a potted container that sits on our picnic table.  They are edible, but your guests will probably just pick them off.

I think these are the sweetest looking cupcakes I've ever seen - and so simple to make.  

I love being able to make something at home (with very little effort) that is beautiful - and I love being able to share those ideas with you to empower you, as well.  It might not be rocket science, but being able to make a beautiful, yummy treat for your family's celebrations or Wednesday nights definitely has power : )

I'll see you tomorrow morning for the unveiling of new products including the Robin's Egg Blue Enamelware and Lilac Linens!


  1. This is so exciting! This past week while the grandchildren were on spring break I invited them over. Since my granddaughter is handicapped I enlisted the help of my grandson to make the Ina Garten Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes you wrote about on your blog and used your Milk Chocolate Icing. Except I only had the Special Dark Hershey's Cocoa. Oh my! They were so good! My husband told me that he would be happy if I would make the icing only again so he could eat it all! Thank you for this recipe and I will certainly try it. And I for one do not like the bakery cupcake stores in our area. They are over priced and over iced! Ha!

  2. Anonymous7:23 PM

    Hi! Is there anyway could you show use how to add essential oils to dish soap? I would like to create my own scents for the unscented clear dish soap I buy and put into the dish soap bottle. Where do you buy your essential oils?


home entertaining and ifestyle expert
join the
The Everyday Occasions Store: item5 item9 m46 m45 classichomedecor1 home m59 m57 recipe m65 m63 how we designed our classic IMG1660