The Everyday Occasions Store:
m28
our new kitchen details
tour of our home
browse my recipes
Shop the store
the everyday occasions store
HolidayInspirationBoard
Shop the holiday collection
IMG3934
IMG54281
holiday home accents
rustic bells, $40
IMG95301024x1024
IMG3798
classic jewelry box, $40
favorite earrings
CXEtri050 IMG4001
classic tribal holiday pillow entertaining
WreathWarmWheat
WreathSlate
slate wreath block print
wheat wreath block print
IMG3968
IMG4265
hooked pillow collection
classic cream & sugar
IMG3831
FAMTREE830061419441720380500
family tree hooked pillow
holiday tags
AcornPrint
OakLeaf
oak leaf block print acorn block print
IMG4044
brstenhausredeckercaketinincludes65byby89by28inchmetalboxwithlidredcheckeredtowelroundbakingbrushpastryroller20centimeterdoughscraperwoodenscoopand6piececookiecutters3101726
baking tin
gingham child apron
IMG3908
IMG3171
velvet ribbon, $12-24
planters for paperwhites
a624056095a85802c719cf332b IMG39591
hooke holiday pillows
red & white linen tea
IMG3864 IMG3836
"we are thankful for" cards "we believe" tags
IMG62531
IMG6237
petite tart pans, 10 for
baking baskets, 6 for $14.50
FirTreePrint
IMG13
fir tree botanical print
natural parchment, 100 for $10
IMG5
IMG10
grocery list tablet, $8
classic tablet + lepens, $14
IMG16
IMG15
dinner planning tablet, $14
weekly planning tablet, $14
IMG3037
IMG2977
velvet pillow collection
the softest throws
IMG3091 IMG3073
wood block print napkins acorn print napkins
item4
item11
kitchen essentials
clean bottles collection
IMG1 item13
pastry bag roll of 100 baking sheets & parchment
item25
item19
platter collection, $150
baking supplies
item28 item29
baking supplies bread board collection

Monday, February 22, 2016

Apricot Glazed Chicken with The Most Amazing Couscous



One of our favorite restaurants is Houston's.  It is an upscale chain, with maybe 10 locations across the country that focuses on fresh comfort classics.  It is our favorite comfort indulgence restaurant.   In fact, I worked there for a brief stint 10+ years ago when I first started my business (had to pay bills, after-all!).  Working there taught me so much about the kind of food people like to eat - real food.  Our all-time favorite menu item was the super rare french dip sandwich with a baked potato.  I have ordered the same thing for the last 20 years.  

Then, some wacky day I ordered the Thai Steak Noodle Salad.  Obsessed.  Over the holidays we went with Mike's parents for his birthday dinner and I must have been feeling strange, because I ordered the Apricot Roasted Chicken with Couscous.  Oh my goodness.  I remember when I worked there that people went nuts over it, but I couldn't imagine it being that good.  It is.  It is one of those meals I catch myself thinking about.  

Obviously, I had to attempt it at home.  The home version was so simple to prepare - so flavorful and super healthy (in my book).  The sauce is made from jarred apricot preserves and takes minutes to stir/cook together.  While the chicken was in the oven I prepared the couscous.  Super easy.   We are adding it to our two week rotation - it is that good.

Apricot Glazed Chicken with Couscous



4 Large Chicken Breasts
Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons of Butter
3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1/2 Cup of Apricot Preserves
1 Tablespoons of Dijon
2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a baking dish, place chicken.  Sprinkle liberally with salt on all sides.

To make sauce, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute, then add apricot preserves, dijon, lemon juice and soy.  Cook on medium until thickened and bubbly.  Pour mixture over the chicken.  Bake chicken for 30-35 minutes, until they are cooked through.  Turn chicken halfway through cooking time.

Serve with The Most Amazing Couscous, recipe below.





The Most Amazing Couscous

1 cup uncooked couscous
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon of salt
....
6 radishes, chopped
5 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup whole almonds
10 fresh mint leaves
....
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Prepare couscous as directed on the package.  

Combine all of the chopped veggies, raisins, almonds and mint in a medium bowl.  Combine with couscous.  Mix together lemon, oil and salt.  Pour over couscous mixture and toss.  Serve room temperature or cold.  











Pin it, here.




13 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:58 PM

    Are the chicken breasts boneless or with bone in?
    We go to Houston's too and I've never thought to order this, it looks delish!
    Christi C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christi! We used boneless skinless (as that is what Mike prefers) but I would recommend bone in skin on, like they do in the restaurant.

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy! Are these boneless skinless chicken breasts? Or bone-in skin-on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi We used boneless skinless (as that is what Mike prefers) but I would recommend bone in skin on, like they do in the restaurant.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:47 PM

    Looks delicious! Will be trying!!

    Off topic, have you ever considered a source list for your blog? There are many times commenters have asked for the source of some of your home goods and I know I've wondered about some of the same items. I will go back to posts hoping you have responded in the comments but there will be no reply. I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I know you cannot reply to everything. Just thought I'd ask as others may feel the same way. I've loved your blog for years and I'm sure I will look forward to posts for years to come! Your home is very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for the question. I'm hoping to do a room-by-room resource post in the future... perhaps as I do/finish (start!) all of our spring cleaning? You can look for it this Spring!

      Delete
  4. Couscous is so great because it is so quick to make and so delicious paired with anything!
    Kari
    www.sweetteasweetie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Houston's is one of our favorites too?
    I've never tried this dish but now I will! Your recipe and Houston's!
    Did you make this with bone-in breasts or boneless?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christi - Boneless, but I would recommend bone-in and skin-on. Hope you try soon!

      Delete
  6. I had an old neighbor who'd make chicken like this - except this looks like the real deal. And that couscous! Thanks for another great family meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:24 PM

    Did this last minute with frozen naked chicken strips (you know what I mean) and the large Israeli couscous (looks like pearls). Just as yummy. I keep forgetting how versatile apricot preserves are...thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this tonight. It was very good. I even enjoyed the couscous, which I didn't think I would do to the mint.

    ReplyDelete

Home
holidayblog
m47
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
join the
contact
facebook
m56
m61
m62
m68
The Everyday Occasions Store: m46 m45 HolidayHeader home m59 m57 recipe m65 m63 how we designed our classic IMG1660