The Everyday Occasions Store:
our new kitchen details
tour of our home
browse my recipes
Shop the store
the everyday occasions store
IMG3264 IMG1314
botanical prints, $4-6
cozy fall essentials
IMG3064 IMG3091
block print block print
Turkey Prints, $4-6
Pillow Covers, $28-36
IMG2983 IMG8
The Softest throws, $80-90 cozy home ideas
Slate Wreath Collection
Wheat Wreath Collection
OakLeaf AcornPrint
Oak Leaf acorn print
petite tart pans, 10 for
baking baskets, 6 for $14.50
Autumn Essential Scarves, $14
natural parchment, 100 for $10
grocery list tablet, $8
classic tablet + lepens, $14
dinner planning tablet, $14
weekly planning tablet, $14
kitchen essentials
clean bottles collection
m17 m12
pastry bag roll of 100 baking sheets & parchment
platter collection, $150
baking supplies
m23 m24
baking supplies bread board collection

Friday, December 4, 2015

Mini Christmas Trees in Planters | Easy DIY Step-by-Step

Since last weekend, I've been adding Christmas touches little by little.  This is our first Holiday season in the new/rebuilt house, so I'm almost starting from scratch.  It takes a bit to find out what feels right where, and how much is too much and what is not enough.  I've already moved pieces around, added wreaths and taken them away.

Since I saw these Transferware Planters, I knew I would use them for something, but I just wasn't sure how.  Last month I planted an amaryllis bulb in it... but it hasn't so much as sprouted (the paperwhites, are doing great... who knows!), so I took another route.

Our market has these real  fir tree tops for sale for $15.  They are spindly and filled with tiny pine cones.  I bought one and used it to make three "tree" arrangements in the set of three transferware planters.  I am copying my friend who had similar ones made in the planters by a florist : )

The planters are on sale for $24.50 for the set of 3.  They make a really lovely gift, centerpiece or accent for your home.

I just loved how they turned out.  I'm already earmarking another set so I can do some magnolia leaves, berries and cloved orange arrangements, too... and another set to create some greenery and candle centerpieces (coming next week).

As you can see, I put little strings of battery operated lights on each one, too, and tucked them around in corners of our home - adding a little sparkle.

I started with the largest and used the top of the tree top.

I cut it to the size I wanted, leaving plenty of "trunk" to go into the foam and hold it into place.

I used wet foam in each container and filled it with water.

Make sure the tree trunk goes down into the foam far enough to make it sturdy.

I went outside to my boxwood bushes and took some clippings to cover the foam at the base.   You could also use trimmings from the tree or moss.

I took the leftover tree trimmings and made two more tree shaped arrangements in the smaller containers.

Someone else was crafting, too : )  Gosh, that bottle of blue paint is looking really close to my white couch in this photo!

I really like just green trees and white lights, but you could definitely jazz these up however you'd like!  I am going to make another one for the bedrooms, too.

I found these battery lights at Lowe's.

This is our dining room corner.  I thought I had taken a photo of the little floral on our table, but now I can't find it.  It is little orange spray roses with magnolia and bay leaves - left over from Thanksgiving.

We are having our first holiday party next week, so I will be sharing some details on our new table and a festive table setting that I hope will last the rest of the season.

This little tree is living in the kitchen for now, until I get a bigger tree in here to hold all of our copper cookie cutters as ornaments.

The other tree is living in Mike's office.  I found that Bing albumn a couple of weeks ago when we were hunting for Thanksgiving goodies.

Even a rosemary plant it looking Christmasy in my planter.

Happy Holiday decorating!  I like to do a little at a time and enjoy the process.  We will be doing the last of the yard cleanup for winter this weekend, hanging exterior lights and other touches this weekend.  I will share them on Monday... hopefully : )

Meanwhile, take advantage of new sale items in my Holiday Collection to deck your own halls or prepare for hostess gifting season.

Red Transferware Planters set of 3, now on sale for $24.50 >

Shop the entire Holiday Collection, here >


  1. Megan2:24 PM

    Hi Jenny,
    Everything looks great! Just wondering how you like the battery operated lights?? Are they "warm" like incandescents? The LEDs I'm finding are not quite warm enough. Thanks!

  2. What three things do you keep in the canisters on your kitchen counter? Flour, sugar, and ...?

    1. Powdered Sugar : ) We make a lot of sugar cookies and icing around here!


home entertaining and ifestyle expert
join the
The Everyday Occasions Store: item5 item9 m46 m45 classichomedecor1 home m59 m57 recipe m65 m63 how we designed our classic IMG1660