The Everyday Occasions Store:
m28
our new kitchen details
tour of our home
browse my recipes
Shop the store
the everyday occasions store
HolidayInspirationBoard
Shop the holiday collection
IMG3934
IMG54281
holiday home accents
rustic bells, $40
IMG95301024x1024
IMG3798
classic jewelry box, $40
favorite earrings
CXEtri050 IMG4001
classic tribal holiday pillow entertaining
WreathWarmWheat
WreathSlate
slate wreath block print
wheat wreath block print
IMG3968
IMG4265
hooked pillow collection
classic cream & sugar
IMG3831
FAMTREE830061419441720380500
family tree hooked pillow
holiday tags
AcornPrint
OakLeaf
oak leaf block print acorn block print
IMG4044
brstenhausredeckercaketinincludes65byby89by28inchmetalboxwithlidredcheckeredtowelroundbakingbrushpastryroller20centimeterdoughscraperwoodenscoopand6piececookiecutters3101726
baking tin
gingham child apron
IMG3908
IMG3171
velvet ribbon, $12-24
planters for paperwhites
a624056095a85802c719cf332b IMG39591
hooke holiday pillows
red & white linen tea
IMG3864 IMG3836
"we are thankful for" cards "we believe" tags
IMG62531
IMG6237
petite tart pans, 10 for
baking baskets, 6 for $14.50
FirTreePrint
IMG13
fir tree botanical print
natural parchment, 100 for $10
IMG5
IMG10
grocery list tablet, $8
classic tablet + lepens, $14
IMG16
IMG15
dinner planning tablet, $14
weekly planning tablet, $14
IMG3037
IMG2977
velvet pillow collection
the softest throws
IMG3091 IMG3073
wood block print napkins acorn print napkins
item4
item11
kitchen essentials
clean bottles collection
IMG1 item13
pastry bag roll of 100 baking sheets & parchment
item25
item19
platter collection, $150
baking supplies
item28 item29
baking supplies bread board collection

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Thanksgiving Collection | Simple Centerpieces, Pewter, Brass & Transferware Classics






The Thanksgiving Collection

Thanksgiving is so special to me.  As a home entertaining enthusiast, it is a holiday that embraces all of the elements I absolutely love - traditional recipes, classic decor, a cozy wood-burning fire, a big table filled with family in a warm home.  We are hosting this year, the first in our new house.  My mind is brimming with ideas for making it a special (yet simple) holiday for our family.  I want to make sure our house is filled with traditional accents - piles of cloved oranges, bittersweet branches, pumpkins and gourds, lit candles everywhere, and of course, delicious aromas of the feast.  I think about all of these elements when I put together this collection.

I really focused on finding simple ways to set of beautiful table for our family celebrations.  You'll find versatile items to use all year long with seasonal touches, restocked linens and lots and lots of candles : )

Enjoy!




Two years ago, this "Thankful" card became a tradition for many of you.  The first year's read "I Am Thankful For" - but last year I changed it to "We Are Thankful" to really reinforce the Thanksgiving spirit.  It is such nice way to be greeted as you sit down to a feast that is all about bounty and thanksgiving.  Sometimes knowing (and seeing) that someone is grateful to have us in their lives is all we need to be fulfilled - feeling this love just might encourage them to spread that love to others.  I like that it brings the real point of the Thanksgiving holiday into focus.  Having it right there on the table helps everyone remember what the holiday is all about.


These cards work great as Place Cards or as Gift Tags tied on a present or hostess gift.

The card is a natural, creamy cardstock printed in the a warm chocolatey brown.
Pewter & Glass Hurricane, $88


As you all know, I'm a big fan of Taper candles.  I think there is nothing more elegant or classic than a hand dipped taper candle on a mantle or on a table.  Typically, when I come across hurricanes they are for pillar candles.  When I saw this pewter hurricane base for a taper candle paired with a tall thin glass sleeve I knew it would the be the perfect thing for our Thanksgiving table.  
It is a little bit modern with its super tall clean glass, and a lot classic with the pewter base and taper candle.  I envision it paired with bittersweet trails and gourds on Thanksgiving, and maybe filled with cloves and cranberries for Christmas morning.  I love, love, love these.

They are special, to be sure.  We received many pewter serving pieces for our wedding.  I use them for almost every occasion from casual to elegant - they seem to match any occasion.   

Shop the Pewter Hurricane >
One of my favorite things to do now that the weather is getting quite chilly is to wake up early in the morning before anyone else is awake.  I come downstairs and I light this single taper candle before I turn on any other lights.  (This particular candle is a Bayberry Candle, below, and smells like earthy, warm, natural spice.)  
There is something so primitive and luxurious about using the light of a candle in the early morning to make your coffee or tea, or to read a book. 
This early American antique style candlestick is meant just for that.  In fact, it is called a "Library Candle Holder."  Made from pewter with simple, yet elegant design.





I have been so excited to get these candles back in stock. Only available during the holiday season (the candle company only makes one batch!) they are my favorite hostess gift to give during the holidays.

The natural scent that these candles have from the Bayberry is warm, earthy and just a bit spicy.  If you've ever visited Nantucket, the scent of the Bayberry shrubs greet you as you get off of the fairy - completely nostalgic and comforting. The candles were among the most prized candles in colonial America because of their clear, consistent light and warm scent.

The card that is enclosed with the candles tells the history of using Bayberry Candles at Christmastime :
"These tapers are handcrafted using the purest bayberry wax.  Bayberry wax is the rarest and most prized of all candle waxes, and has a warm, earthy, spicy aroma.  According to tradition, to bring good luck, you must burn a Bayberry Candle on Christmas Day.  If the flame burns bright and the light shines clear, then heaven will bless you throughout the year." 





I don't think there is anything as classic and lovely as transferware.  Popularized in 18th century England, it seems to never go out of style and look great and fresh every season.  These planters are so versatile.  They can be used for display on a mantle or a shelf, or on a table.  I plan to plant paperwhite and amaryllis bulbs in mine and give them away as hostess gifts this year.  
I also love them going down a table filled with various things - piles of clementines, nuts or gourds.  
Set of 3 : Small 4", Med 6", Large 8"





Transferware, Brown & White Round Planters, Set of 3, $24.50

I used this round set of planters in various ways, creating a clustered centerpiece.  I used some as as candle holders by inserting foam into the base.  They were very simple to make and can easily change with the seasons.  Others simply hold piles of cloved oranges.





Here, I've used the medium Brown & White Round Planter to make a gift for a teacher.  It features a planted paperwhite bulb - one of my favorite gifts to give for Thanksgiving. 































I think they look equally as charming on a mantle, too.  Now you know why I went so crazy with the transferware - so many ways to use them!
































Hand-Dipped 6" Taper Candles, $6

These are a new addition to my candle collection (addition? obsession?).  I recently saw these in an issue of a magazine and thought, oh aren't they so cute!  Then I saw the packaging and realized they were made by the same company that makes mine... right down the street from my house.  Of course, I had to have them.  Since Thanksgiving is all about the ultimate family meal, what is more appropriate than these cute, classic candles for your table.  





Transferware, Blue & White Round Planters, Set of 3, $24.50

Seasonless and classic, Blue & White is one of my favorite combinations - and a new one for me to collect.  You might remember seeing these on our hearth room mantle!


Transferware, Blue & White Square Planters, Set of 4, $28.50 
Brass Planter Box, $14 


A couple of years ago I had an old wooden box that sat on our kitchen table.  Each season I found more and more uses for it.  I loved the linear shape and how it so easily lend itself to a line of planted bulbs (paperwhites or amaryllis) for the holidays, or daffodils in the spring.  I used it filled with herbs in the summer and piled with mini gourds in the fall.  It worked great on our old, more rustic table (which was on a porch), but now I found myself looking for a more refined vessel. 
Last year, our friend Tessa (Nine and Sixteen) featured an oblong metal planter on her Holiday table with candles going down the center and greenery tucked all around.  Brilliant.  It is one of those images that stuck in my head.  I searched and searched for the perfect shape and patina (this unlaquered brass will age over time) to duplicate the look in our home this holiday season.  I hope you can do the same : )






































Turkey Copper Cookie Cutter, $15


I can't wait to have these waiting for Emma and my nieces on Thanksgiving day.   I'm still debating on using them as yummy placecards, or have the girls enjoy decorating them while the adults enjoy pie!   


These cookie cutters are extra special, as they are handmade in the US from copper - the most traditional metal for cutters.  They are a truly heirloom quality cutter that can be passed down for generations.  I love collecting copper cutters - and I love thinking that Emma will be using them with her kids and grandkids as they make holiday memories as I did with my Mom and Sister.
Maple Praline Syrup, $8


I have a special recipe for a Pecan Pie that uses this syrup, giving it an amazingly deep taste!  Stay tuned  : )    This makes a great gift, along with a bag of pecans and the recipe.
12 oz.


Windowpane Plaid Throw, $88



With its warm colors and traditional colors, this stately throw is just the perfect thing for your home.  It will transition beautifully from fall to the Holidays with the mix of warm camel, brown and red.
I can't tell you how soft this is!  It is definitely a throw you will want to actually use. 





















Linen Collection 

Of course, nothing completes a table like linens.  I've restocked all of the most popular linens from the Fall Collection, including this Provence Tablecloth and these checked tea towels.  Shop all of the linens >


I hope you found something that inspired you and will help you make your Thanksgiving simple and special for your family.

Best,
Jenny



4 comments:

  1. Kristin7:26 AM

    Hi Jenny. What a beautiful collection! What size taper candle should I order for the pewter and glass hurricane? 12"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is just lovely! Congrats on another amazing collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous styling, as always! Love the transferware additions!! I'm thinking teacher gifts.... :)

    ReplyDelete

Home
holidayblog
m47
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
join the
contact
facebook
m56
m61
m62
m68
The Everyday Occasions Store: m46 m45 HolidayHeader home m59 m57 recipe m65 m63 how we designed our classic IMG1660