The Everyday Occasions Store:
our new kitchen details
tour of our home
browse my recipes
Shop the store
the everyday occasions store
IMG3264 IMG1314
botanical prints, $4-6
cozy fall essentials
IMG3064 IMG3091
block print block print
Turkey Prints, $4-6
Pillow Covers, $28-36
IMG2983 IMG8
The Softest throws, $80-90 cozy home ideas
Slate Wreath Collection
Wheat Wreath Collection
OakLeaf AcornPrint
Oak Leaf acorn print
petite tart pans, 10 for
baking baskets, 6 for $14.50
Autumn Essential Scarves, $14
natural parchment, 100 for $10
grocery list tablet, $8
classic tablet + lepens, $14
dinner planning tablet, $14
weekly planning tablet, $14
kitchen essentials
clean bottles collection
m17 m12
pastry bag roll of 100 baking sheets & parchment
platter collection, $150
baking supplies
m23 m24
baking supplies bread board collection

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Lighting Update | My New Obsession, Thanks to Your Suggestions!

This is going to be quick, as I'm running to the house to meet the electrician in a little bit.   Last week I asked for your help choosing light fixtures for the new house/addition.  The one thing I was sure about was my large lantern over the dining, then two smaller versions over the island.  You can read the other details about choices, here.

I received an email from Tessa (Nine and Sixteen, you all know) and she said, I think you should consider something more dramatic over the dining table - something that says, this is its own area.  I thought about it - ok, maybe I would look around and see what I can find.  Maybe an hour or two later, I receive a comment on the post from Caroline (thanks, Caroline!) that contained a couple of links, including this stunning TT Linear Branched 10-Light Chandelier.  Done.  In LOVE.

It is really similar to the scones I selected for our bathroom - which reconfirmed the choice.

My only hesitation is that it is a little more delicate than I had be looking at, but I love everything about it.  I think it will add an elegant feel to that corner of our big room and make it feel special... and I can already see the garland dripping off it at Christmas.

Meanwhile at the house, Mike held our large lantern up in our room and it will be the perfect size to go above our bed.

By holding it where the island will be we decided to go with two of the smaller size there - so glad we had this one to check it out before we had them made... by hand.

Another hardware choice I've "decided" (I say that in quotes because I haven't actually ordered, so you never know if I might change my mind...) is doing porcelain door knobs on our interior doors with oil rubbed bronze.  It is a little different than I had originally thought I would do, but I felt that everything was becoming a little too fancy, and these knobs say country house to me.  I really want our house to feel charming and cozy, unpretentious and comfy.   I feel like these knobs will make it feel like a little bit of a farmy cottage, which I love.   So, painted cream doors, this knob hardware, oil rubbed hinges and brass lighting.   I think it will be a great eclectic, but comfortable mix.

 The debate for Emma's room, Guest rooms and Laundry is still up for debate.  I do like this lantern, though...

Another reader (thanks, Cristina!) shared a resource for these Sandwich Lanterns (also made on Cape Cod) that are made of solid copper.  They are much less expensive than the ones I originally picked, and I love the copper on the back porch.  So, these will be going the length of the porch.

I think I'll also have a couple of these flanking my mudroom french doors, too.

Thank you so much for your help - these picks have made all the difference in my choices!  What an awesome community this is : )  Thank you!


  1. Anonymous12:13 PM

    Why not a pretty vintage or antique fixture for Emma's room? There are so many affordable chandeliers at antique shops. It would give her room a one of a kind look. Just an idea!

  2. I fell in love with that linear chandelier three years ago when Holly Mathis showed it to me. She recommended it for our dining room and I bought it immediately. True classic.

  3. I love those knobs! Can you order them new?

  4. Caroline2:20 PM

    Wow! You know I always love to chime in on decorating conundrums, but I never dreamt you'd use my suggestion! I'm so thrilled though. Can't wait to see it in its new home. Your reno is going to be just dreamy!!

  5. That chandelier is stunning! It will look so special.

  6. Cristina10:39 AM

    I'm so glad one of my suggestions could be helpful to you! I'm sure deciding on the last details can be strenuous, but it's bound to be fun & exciting too!


home entertaining and ifestyle expert
join the
The Everyday Occasions Store: item5 item9 m46 m45 classichomedecor1 home m59 m57 recipe m65 m63 how we designed our classic IMG1660