The Everyday Occasions Store:
m28
our new kitchen details
tour of our home
browse my recipes
Shop the store
the everyday occasions store
ClassicHomeCollection1
ClassicShot1 IMG9
botanical prints, $4-6
cozy fall essentials
IMG11
NP1
le pens,
block print
TC1
IMG17
block print tablecloth, $48-65
block print
IMG7 IMG8
The Softest throws, $80-90 cozy home ideas
IMG12
cookiesandcreampie1
petite tart pans, 10 for
baking baskets, 6 for $14.50
IMG14
IMG13
the softest throws, $90
natural parchment, 100 for $10
IMG5
IMG10
grocery list tablet, $8
classic tablet + lepens, $14
IMG16
IMG15
dinner planning tablet, $14
weekly planning tablet, $14
m8
m11
kitchen essentials
clean bottles collection
m17 m12
pastry bag roll of 100 baking sheets & parchment
m21
m18
platter collection, $150
baking supplies
m23 m24
baking supplies bread board collection

Monday, November 3, 2014

My Tips for Setting a Table | Wheat Harvest Table for Thanksgiving *Winner Announced!



I wanted to share all of the details from this Thanksgiving "Harvest Wheat" table that I set last week.  I think that people tend to be intimidated by setting a table - whether it be the centerpiece, flatware or the linens.  Also, the whole vision of a table can be hard to come up with... there are a lot of factors like color, scale and balance to consider.  It is not hard, but it has taken me a long time to dissect it and think about what works for me.   I'll break it down below.

Whoopsy Daisy 

If you follow me on Instagram, you saw that Mike got me a new fancy big screen Mac for our anniversary present.  So this morning, I get it out and am blissfully editing photos on the new big, giant screen when I noticed a complete whoops! on my part... do you see it?  For those of you who see it, leave a comment on this post and I'll pick a winner to win a $50 gift card to my store.  So, I will throw money at my embarrassment... that's completely acceptable, right?!  I will not publish the comments until later today to give everyone a chance to guess.

Update : We have a Winner!

The winner of my $50 Gift Card is Clare Guinn!  Clare said she was hosting her first Thanksgiving this year - so much fun.  I have warm, fuzzy and fond memories of the first (and only so far...) Thanksgiving we hosted and I hope the gift card can help Clare set her first beautiful Thanksgiving table : )  Clare, please email me (jenny@jennysteffens.com) with your mailing address and we'll send the gift card your way!


Place Cards

I like place cards - even at small gatherings.   For holidays like Thanksgiving, I think they are especially important for a couple of reasons : 1)  They make guests feel special.  Someone wants me to sit here, they have given thought to it and they are happy I'm here.   2) The host is able to strategically place people to foster great conversation.  3)  It is organized.  No one is walking around with a plate of food feeling lost, or ending up at the kids table because they got last in line : )  4) They are pretty!  It is just one more way to set the scene and create a mood for the meal.  These Wheat Laurel Wreath Place Cards are the perfect spot to accent with my Wheat theme.



Centerpieces Don't Have to be Flowers

If you are hosting Thanksgiving dinner, then you probably don't have time to make a lovely fresh flower arrangement - in reality, you'll hardly have time to do anything else but cook food.  I love these Wheat Bundles because they are natural, but not fresh, as in... they do not require any day-of (week-of, year-of...) maintenance.  You can set your table now and it will still look perfect, seasonal and festive on Thanksgiving Day.  I've tied mine with Edgartown Sand Ribbon, but you can use gold, brown or even a patterned ribbon to add more color or pizazz to suite your style.

The height of these is perfect - it adds some grandeur, but doesn't block a view. For a small table, do just one, or maybe two - one up, one on its side.  For a large table, you can do 2-5, depending on what else you are filling the table with.



This is your first real peek into Mike parent's house (where we are during construction) - isn't it the perfect warm and cozy house to shoot a Thanksgiving table?!

Linens

This Natural & Cream Striped Tablecloth is my new favorite thing.  Sometimes I just am so impressed by something when it arrives in the mail that I can't get over it.  This tablecloth is currently that thing.  It is hard for me to describe how completely lovely it is.  Heavy, textured, natural, authentic, 100% linen designed and milled in Europe.

The size is my favorite for Tablecloths - a 54" Square.  That may sound odd, but here is why it works.  Most farmhouse tables are long and can be hard to make look bountiful.  The square cloth acts sort of like a runner, just on the center of the table, visually bringing in the sides a bit.   Then, the centerpiece can be build upon a smaller area (on the linen) to create an easier scale to work with.  It also give the beautiful wood a chance to show through.

For long tables, I like to use long centerpieces.  For round or square tables, I like one, or a grouping of three in the middle.
The wheat and the pumpkins are down the center in a structured way, then I've randomly scattered various heights and colors of Taper Candles.


For this setting, I used the White Linen Hemstitch Napkins on the Tablecloth, then used the Tea Towels at the heads of the table.  It is a great way to mix and match, while stretching your pieces.  I'm also known to do this with china when I'm setting multiple tables for one party.  I'll use white dinner plates set with patterned salad plates at one table, then patterned dinner plates with white salad plates at another.  It multiples your china by 2 and keeps everything "matching."

Products Featured :

Linens :
Cream & Natural Linen Tablecloth
Cream & Natural Linen Runner
Cream & Natural Linen Tea Towels
White Hemstitch Linen Napkins

Candles :
Hand Dipped Taper Candles
Thin Hand Dipped Taper Candles
Wooden Candle Holders
Thin Wooden Candle Holders

Wheat Bundle
Edgartown Sand Ribbon
Wheat Laurel Wreath Place Cards

See the entire Thanksgiving Product Collection, here.

112 comments:

  1. hello! i think i spotted the mistake. the table settings are flipflopped - the spoon & knife are the left (they should be on the right) and the forks are on the right (they should be on the left). i hope i won, i love love love your site,and just started using it because i am hosting my first thanksgiving! thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update : We have a Winner!

      The winner of my $50 Gift Card is Clare Guinn! Clare said she was hosting her first Thanksgiving this year - so much fun. I have warm, fuzzy and fond memories of the first (and only so far...) Thanksgiving we hosted and I hope the gift card can help Clare set her first beautiful Thanksgiving table : ) Clare, please email me (jenny@jennysteffens.com) with your mailing address and we'll send the gift card your way!

      Delete
  2. Marina Bell3:20 PM

    The place setting is backwards, the forks should be to the left of the plate. -Marina Bell melamkeybell@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normally, I wouldn't point out that your place settings are backwards...but if that means a possible $50 gift card to your store, i'll do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG !! I found it! The forks and the knife and spoon are on the wrong sides of the plate in your table setting. I can't believe I saw it. I would never had noticed it if you hadn't mentioned your "Whoopsy Daisy". BTW: I love your blog and look forward to your renovation pictures. Also, you have great products in your store....Good luck with it all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I must say it is a beautiful table setting- I love the simplicity of the colors and how natural it all looks together. As far as errors- all I notice in the topmost photo it looks like something is blocking the chair on the end? And in the one farther down, there is no chair at all on the end, though there is a place setting. Must say, I was too distracted by enjoying the tablescape that it took me awhile to find anything wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny - I always have to check myself about this too when I set a table. Here is how I remember it, "fork" on the "left" since they both have four letters and "knife" and "spoon" on the right since they both have five letters. I hope you had a nice Halloween weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well I think it looks stunning!! And there is nothing that stands out too much to me BUT I was always taught to put the knife and spoon on the right side and the forks on the left:) That is my guess at your whoops! :) I do love your shop!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny – I'm a long time follower and love your blog! Lucky you, I too just bought myself a 27" Apple monitor and I loooove it! Thanks for the gift card offer opportunity, I think you flip flopped your utensils. Hope I'm right! Thanks again for all you do:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well...I guess it is that your forks are on the wrong side of the napkin...it should be forks on the left side, then knife followed by spoon on the right. I thought perhaps your photo images were reversed, but your names would be reversed then...so it is the place setting that is incorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe, it was the glassware. Hmmm. That is missing, too. Still very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perhaps the error is that the silverware is placed incorrectly. The knives and spoons hound be on the right while the forks should be on the left. Also in the text describing center pieces, the word suite is used instead of suit. Beautiful table, as always in exquisite understated taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The place setting is backwards - forks belong on the left and knife and spoon on the right. Oops!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pamela5:40 PM

    Forks should be on left side of plate with knife and spoon on right side of plate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jennifer5:41 PM

    If I know your entertaining style, you would have the plates at each place. I say you are missing the plates! Otherwise, warm and lovely table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops, silverware reversed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:46 PM

    Indeed forks to the left of the place setting! Linda in PA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your place settings are off (forks should be on left).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha. Forks and knives are in the wrong places.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lauren Milkie5:55 PM

    Is your mistake that you put the forks and the knives and spoons on the wrong side of the plates? If so, no big deal! The tablescape is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Table setting is lovely, but forks and knives are on the wrong sides!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You put the silverware on the wrong sides at each place setting. Beautiful otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Robyn6:17 PM

    whoopsy daisy ….. forks need to be on the left and knife and spoon on the right ….

    ReplyDelete
  23. Silverware at the place setting on opposite side.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Flatware on the wrong sides of the plate? It happens :) Congrats on the new computer, it's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is the oops the missing place settings on the other side of the table? ;) looks beautiful anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous6:41 PM

    Loved the table setting tips! The "oops" is that forks should be on the left. ;) -- Shelly Hawkins

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous6:42 PM

    Forks are on the right, knives and spoons are on the left...uh oh!
    Kim O'Mahoney

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jenny,
    The table setting looks beautiful, but I think the silverware is placed on the wrong side of each place setting. I would not call it a big whoop though, just a little one that is easily fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The silverware is set in reverse in the second picture - the forks should be on the other side of the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like the cutlery at each place setting is on the wrong side. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your forks and knives and spoons are on the wrong side. ��


    Debeith@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. The silverware is on the wrong side! Ha! I've done that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous7:24 PM

    Knives and spoons on the right and forks on the left. I had to look twice to notice. I fixed your lemon chicken breasts with thyme for my college niece and her roommate and they loved it. Thanks for all your great recipes and decor ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Forks on the left please. I love your style! Either side is fine for me. I hope I win!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The forks and knives/spoons are on the wrong side of the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Jenny,
    The forks should be on the left?
    If that's not it, I see nothing wrong with your lovely table setting.
    Happy Anniversary to you and Mike!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous7:50 PM

    forks on right, knife and spoon on left...no biggie, still looks beautifully simple

    ReplyDelete
  38. The forks, knives, and spoons are on the wrong side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Flatware - forks on the left!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. My guess: you only set one side of the table. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. The silverware is set backwards. Forks on right, knofe spoon on left on photos.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Opps...the forks go on the left of a place setting...dinner fork then salad fork on the outside and the knife and spoon to the right of a plate...knife blade facing inwards. This is what I learned for an informal table setting and I hope it is correct! Love following your blog Jenny, and would love the gift card :). Thanks, Beverly. Bevhando@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. That's okay! We all make mistakes! You're a great sport! Silverware needs to do a little dance and get in their right places, I do believe. ;-) Love following you on your blog and Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Is it that the knives & spoons and the forks are on the wrong side of the plate? Everything looks absolutely beautiful anyway! Such a gorgeous table setting, so warm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm not sure but are the dinner plates missing? That's the whoops I see. Still looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  46. The forks are on the wrong side!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous9:26 PM

    I think you forgot the silverware and place settings on the one side of the table.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Is the opps in your photo...missing a windsor chair at the head of the table?

    ReplyDelete
  49. The forks are on the right instead of the left ��

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous9:40 PM

    Forks are on the wrong side.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Your silverware isn't set right...you have your forks on the right nstead of the left and same with your knives and spoons, you have them on the left instead of the right....whoopsy daisy!! Enjoy that new Mac big screen though and Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anonymous9:46 PM

    The table is set backwards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love reading your blog for recipes and entertaining ideas! I believe the error is that the flatware is on the wrong side of the dinner plates.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Your forks are on the wrong side! ;) We've all done it before!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anonymous10:00 PM

    hi! you only set one side of the table! it still looks pretty though! Heather (htramonte@sbcglobal.net)

    ReplyDelete
  56. The "whoops" is that the forks are on the right and the knife and spoon on the left and it should be the opposite! It's all still beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I thought it was funny your flatware was placed wrong...or is the image flipped? Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Oops! Your flatware is placed incorrectly. Forks should be on the left, knife and spoon on the right. Still looks lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Silverware is placed incorrectly - backwards!

    ReplyDelete
  60. I smiled when I saw your photo because that is how my sister used to set the table-- with the forks on the right side and the knife and spoon on the left. I think the rest of your table looks so pretty that no one would care which side the utensils were on!

    ReplyDelete
  61. your silverware is backwards Your tablescape is very pretty Enjoy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  62. Maybe your picture is in backwards because I see the silverware on the wrong sides. Forks should go on the left and spoon and knife on right. If that's not it, I'll go get my glasses and look more closely. And whatever the "oopsy daisy" is, your table is very attractive.

    Barbara
    St. Louis

    ReplyDelete
  63. The knife and spoon are on the left side of the plate instead of the right and the forks are on the right side of the plate instead of the left. Regardless, still a beautiful place setting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  64. Is your sweater on the back of the chair?

    ReplyDelete
  65. The forks should be to the left of the plate and the knife and spoon on the right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Jeanny C.11:44 PM

    Is it not having silverware by the place setting on the left side of the first photo? :)

    ReplyDelete
  67. No judgement here :) I'm rarely even able to set the table! ... but since you asked, is your "whoops" having the forks/ knives/spoons on the "improper" sides?

    ReplyDelete
  68. I'm thinking it is that your silverware is switched. ;) The forks should be on the left and knife, then spoon on the right. But hey, you still have your knife blade pointing toward the plate! I did that wrong for YEARS!!

    ReplyDelete
  69. It still looks great, even though the silverware is on the wrong sides.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Forks go on the left, spoon and knife go on the right. :) Your table is gorgeous regardless of where flatware is placed though.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Took me awhile, but I noticed the forks and the knife and spoon are on opposite sides. I know I've made this same mistake too many times :) Hoping I win because I adore your store!

    ReplyDelete
  72. Anonymous2:53 AM

    forks should be on the left & knife & spoon on the right.....is this your oops? Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  73. Forks are to the right of the plates instead of the left :) Caroline in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Hi Jenny!
    I'm afraid both left and right are wrong. The forks should be at the left of the plate and the knife and spoon at the right ;-)
    Kind regards from Spain,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  75. Sandra Ingram6:45 AM

    I have studied your photos and cannot see anything wrong, except that one of the settings has no silverware. Everything looks perfect- just beautiful.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  76. Sandra Ingram6:48 AM

    I have studied your photos and cannot find anything wrong except that one of the place settings has no silverware. Everything is perfect- just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  77. The forks should be on the left side, and the knives and spoon on the right. Looks so perfect and inform, it's hard to notice. Very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Is it that only one side of the table is set? :)

    ReplyDelete
  79. Silverware is backwards on the place settings.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Utensils are reversed! Whoops! (forks go on the left) :)

    ReplyDelete
  81. Beautiful table! Is the oops the missing chair at the head of the table? Otherwise I'm stumped!

    ReplyDelete
  82. Adrienne8:34 AM

    Hi Jenny,

    I love your blog! Thanks for sharing all of your ideas with us. I'm dying to see an update on the construction!

    Is the "goof" that James' place setting is backwards?

    ReplyDelete
  83. Adrienne8:35 AM

    Oops myself, just noticing that they're all backwards!

    ReplyDelete
  84. Only half your table is completely set!

    ReplyDelete
  85. My guess is that the forks should be on the left of the plate and the knife and spoons on the right :)

    ReplyDelete
  86. The place setting is backwards. The forks should be on the left side and the spoon and knife should be on the right side. An easy way to remember this is that BMW is not just for cars. BMW means bread, meal, water (drink). After you have that set up you put your forks on the bread side because you eat solids with a fork and bread is solid. You place you spoons on the water side because water is a liquid and you eat liquids with a spoon. Your table looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  87. The cutlery at each place setting is on the wrong side.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Anonymous9:32 AM

    Hi Jenny. Your whoops was that the silverware was set on the wrong side. But your table setting was beautiful. Love your blog.

    LouAnn Schmedding

    ReplyDelete
  89. Hello Jenny,
    The table is set in reverse, forks on the right instead of left. I would love the gift certificate to your online store. Thanks, Laura Shultice
    lshultice@mchsi.com

    ReplyDelete
  90. Hi Jenny,
    I just love your blog! I really look forward to seeing your house remodel with addition and the design choices you made. You have posted some great inspiration photo's. Emma is adorable and you make a beautiful family.
    I would guess that your Whoopsy Daisy would be that you placed the silverware on the wrong sides of the place settings. The forks on the left and the knife and spoons on the right.
    Thank you for the opportunity to win. Have a Blessed Thanksgiving with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  91. The forks are to be on the left - you have the spoon and knife on the left - whoopsy daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  92. Forks go on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  93. It took me a while but I believe that you set the flatware wrong. Forks on the left and knife and spoon on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  94. The silverware is backwards

    ReplyDelete
  95. I believe that your silverware is set up wrong. The forks should be on the left. :)

    ReplyDelete
  96. Haha, forks and knives are backwards! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  97. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  98. In regards to the "whoops" on Thanksgiving table setting, I think the "whoops" is that the silverware are on the wrong sides of the plate -- knife and spoon should be on the right of plate, and forks on the left. You set a beautiful table any way you look at it though. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  99. The earlier of post of mine, that's just the way I remember it though, I am sure you know that already!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  100. Whoopsy! Forks go on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  101. Hello, I think your whoopsy daisy is in one of the pics of your table you have the spoons/knives and the forks on the wrong side of the plate. Thanks! Camille

    ReplyDelete
  102. Sharon (sharon.a.tatum@gsk.com)12:40 PM

    The forks are on the right and should be on the left

    ReplyDelete
  103. Sharon (sharon.a.tatum@gsk.com)12:46 PM

    The forks are on the right and should be on the left. I do this all the time when dining casually at home, since we instinctively reach for them on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  104. You must have reversed your photos as the forks are on the right! Assume you didn't set the table this way!!

    ReplyDelete
  105. bootsyboots12:50 PM

    the picture is reversed, so the knives and forks are on the wrong side !

    ReplyDelete
  106. Carrie1:00 PM

    I love the simple, natural and beautiful table setting you created. The forks should be to the left of the plate, the knife and spoon to the right. Fork and left both have 4 letters...my trick to remember how to properly set a table. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  107. hello, i wasn't able to post last night on my iPhone, but in case it isn't too late - I believe your "oops" is that the silverware is on the opposite sides it should be - the forks should be on the left side of the place settings, and the knife and spoon on the right? :-) It looks gorgeous anyway, you have a way with hospitality! ;-) -Kristin McGinnis

    ReplyDelete
  108. Hi Jenny--the silverware is on the wrong sides. The forks should be on the left and the knife and spoon on the right. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Home
fallpillows1
m47
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
join the
contact
facebook
m56
m61
m62
m68
The Everyday Occasions Store: m46 m45 classichomedecor1 home m59 m57 recipe m65 m63 how we designed our classic IMG1660