The Everyday Occasions Store:
m28
our new kitchen details
tour of our home
browse my recipes
Shop the store
the everyday occasions store
HolidayInspirationBoard
Shop the holiday collection
IMG3934
IMG54281
holiday home accents
rustic bells, $40
IMG95301024x1024
IMG3798
classic jewelry box, $40
favorite earrings
CXEtri050 IMG4001
classic tribal holiday pillow entertaining
WreathWarmWheat
WreathSlate
slate wreath block print
wheat wreath block print
IMG3968
IMG4265
hooked pillow collection
classic cream & sugar
IMG3831
FAMTREE830061419441720380500
family tree hooked pillow
holiday tags
AcornPrint
OakLeaf
oak leaf block print acorn block print
IMG4044
brstenhausredeckercaketinincludes65byby89by28inchmetalboxwithlidredcheckeredtowelroundbakingbrushpastryroller20centimeterdoughscraperwoodenscoopand6piececookiecutters3101726
baking tin
gingham child apron
IMG3908
IMG3171
velvet ribbon, $12-24
planters for paperwhites
a624056095a85802c719cf332b IMG39591
hooke holiday pillows
red & white linen tea
IMG3864 IMG3836
"we are thankful for" cards "we believe" tags
IMG62531
IMG6237
petite tart pans, 10 for
baking baskets, 6 for $14.50
FirTreePrint
IMG13
fir tree botanical print
natural parchment, 100 for $10
IMG5
IMG10
grocery list tablet, $8
classic tablet + lepens, $14
IMG16
IMG15
dinner planning tablet, $14
weekly planning tablet, $14
IMG3037
IMG2977
velvet pillow collection
the softest throws
IMG3091 IMG3073
wood block print napkins acorn print napkins
item4
item11
kitchen essentials
clean bottles collection
IMG1 item13
pastry bag roll of 100 baking sheets & parchment
item25
item19
platter collection, $150
baking supplies
item28 item29
baking supplies bread board collection

Friday, March 28, 2014

Happy Friday | Cookies for the Crew & Store Restocking



I get a lot of comments about how I "do it all" - and each time I read one of those, I feel a little guilty.  I never want this blog to make anyone feel like I'm some wonder woman that sleeps 2 hours a night and still has time to make fresh pancakes every morning and decorates cookies in the afternoon.  The truth is that the store has been a great new inspiration for me professionally - and a lot more work than I expected.


I started the store last summer - after blogging for 5 years, I needed a little something different to concentrate on and motivate me on a daily basis.  It was way, way, way more work than I thought it would be.  In a good way - and in an overwhelming way.  I've forged new relationships with my readers, opened new avenues of creativity for me and turned my brain on in a major way.  However, it took a major toll on my time.

The new note that goes out with each package - printed on my favorite really heavy textured cardstock.  It is the same paper and colors we used for our wedding invitations.
I've always been the type to do everything myself and reject help at all corners (I'm sure this sounds familiar to most of you!).  This has served me well, but also has been limiting.  After all, I am only one person... or so I've been reminded : )

After the holidays, I was exhausted... but already thinking about fun Valentine's products.  I knew I couldn't keep up at the rate I was going - burnout was just around the corner. 

So, after a little encouragement from Mike, I set out looking for help in the form of a crew.

For the past two months, I've been transitioning and training the new crew.  It feels like a huge step - the first time I've taken one of my ideas to the real next level.   Typically, the week after a new product launch, I spend days/weeks knee deep in krinkle wrap and packing tape. 

This new found freedom allows me to be able to respond to your questions more quickly, keep tabs on fleeting inventory, fix dinner for my family, and write blog posts, without feeling like I'm underwater for two weeks straight.


On their first big packing day I made a big basket of Egg Cookies (made from my Copper Cookie Cutters) and Lemon Butter Cakes (baked in Kraft Loaf Pans) for the crew.  I wanted to treat them to something special - and, I wanted them to feel and experience my brand on a first hand level.  I told them that these are the sort of things that these fabulous customers are planning to make.  I want them to understand how important presentation is - and that every package that goes out should feel like a gift.

Of course, Mike thought I was insane when I got up early to package them and tie the ribbons... isn't this why you've hired help?  As I explained to him, this is the fun stuff.  The reason I started everything in the first place.  And I'm so glad I have the time and energy to do the fun stuff and to do all of those little things that make life special.  


Last night, we had our first Spring storm that brought in drizzling rain and a 55 degree morning today.  The sun might not be shining, but the birds are chirping, my doors are wide open and I can smell that lovely damp scent of Spring.  I'm so glad I have the time and energy to enjoy it!   Oh - and thanks for all of the compliments on my new photo!   However, I assure you that I look nothing like this today in my comfy clothes while I work with my feet up and latte in my hand - of course. 



Product Updates :

Last week when I debuted the new Spring Collection, some items sold out so quickly, so I've restocked them this week, including My Everyday Candles (in the classic cream, this time) and Tablets + Le Pens in fresh colors.

Next week is all about Sugar Cookies.  I'll be posting unique packaging ideas, decorating tips and trying a couple new icing and cookie recipes. 

Thanks so much for all of your support!  Happy Spring : )

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I appreciate you keeping it real because so many bloggers don't. Good for you for allowing yourself to hire people to help you, too! It allows you the freedom to focus on building your blog. I think it's so key when people can admit they need help and don't spread themselves too thin. I love your store! Keep up the awesome, beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long did you bake the butter cakes in the smaller kraft pans? They are adorable! I'd love to make some for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I laughed out loud at the Mike comment, "isn't this why you hired help?" I can sooo understand both points of view. How lucky you are to be able to hire the help that you need so that you can continue to do all that you want to do. The best of both worlds.
    Kelly
    p.s. Do you think you will get the linen towels back in red before Christmas? I was so hoping you would restock them, but I did not even think about them not being a spring color. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post Jenny. Ouestion for you though. I'm wondering who eats all the amazing goodies you bake for the blog. Obviously you do not. ;)
    You have some very lucky neighbors I would guess.

    I laughed at Mike's comment as well but then I was the person who cleaned up for the cleaning lady.

    Good for you knowing when to get some help. I so wish I lived near you because it would be a dream to work for you just to watch and learn. Thank you for sharing that you are just like all of us trying to do your best in ALL areas of your life. Thanks for keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you to get help! If ever you want an idea for readers, I would love to have a section that would title all the recipes for each item you sell. (Baking items) I purchased the large paper pans and forgot just what it was that you made in them! Lol like the recipes for each size? Just an idea. I hope you continue to sell the cute tags with the simple phrases on them, they were SO cute! Looking forward to all the recipes! Love your things! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny,
    Congratulations on the success that requires a crew. I've ordered from you a couple of times and I can honestly say, not only was I thrilled with what I ordered, it did feel like a gift. It was so lovely. I will be ordering more. I hope the platters are back in stock soon.
    Your new picture is really pretty!
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny, I am planning on making your Lemon and Fruit Layered Cake for Easter and was wondering what recipe you used for making the pound cake? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny- This question is unrelated to today's post but I was wondering if you have decided on a color for your kitchen cabinets? I am doing my kitchen and need to find a nice white. So, since I like your style so much, I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenny,

    I was hoping to try out one of your everyday candles but they appear to be sold out again! Do you think you will be restocking once again? They sure do go quickly!

    Many thanks,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenny,

    I just received the package I ordered from you. Everything was presented so beautifully. If your crew packed it, they are doing an excellent job. Congrats on all of your success.

    Thanks,

    Maha

    ReplyDelete

Home
holidayblog
m47
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
join the
contact
facebook
m56
m61
m62
m68
The Everyday Occasions Store: m46 m45 HolidayHeader home m59 m57 recipe m65 m63 how we designed our classic IMG1660