spring
tour our
spring copper cookie cutters
creamware
willow vase & candle collection
baking

Friday, November 8, 2013

DIY Family Photo Shoot


Sometimes I just want a nice photo of all of us together.  I don't want to have to schedule a photographer weeks in advance, or set aside an entire day to take pictures... which can be a little stressful when kids are involved - remember Emma's Christmas card shoot day?  A couple of weeks ago on a Sunday morning we left for church 20 minutes early and stopped in a beautiful spot to take a couple of family photos.  Just us.  Well, us, my tripod, my camera and my camera remote. 

First I jumped out of the car and did a test photo to see how the light looked.  Pretty.

Photographers say that morning and evening light is best - so I hear.


Next I sent Mike and Emma out to pick a good spot while I worked on making adjustments to the settings.
Trying to get it focused...












Sweet moments with Mike and Emma talking about the leaves.
This was our first attempt at the whole family.

After I run back to look, I see that I'm not very sly with the remote.




And we're out of focus.



We'll try it again.
Better focus and hidden remote, but posed a little funny... keep trying.










































We're getting a little better.

And a couple of just the girls - since we hardly have any with the two of us...


See that leaf mid-fall?!

 We try one more spot.


This was facing West (east in the photos before).  I wanted to play with the light a little bit - wasn't sure what would give us the richest color.
 This might by my winner.
Or this one - I love that we're looking more relaxed and easy.
Done! 


I hope we do more of these impromptu family-style shoots.  They are a lot of fun completely and stress-free. 

13 comments:

  1. Super cute!! We want to get some maternity pictures when it is snowing out to use for our Christmas card, but it would be nearly impossible to schedule a photographer for the right day/time/weather, so I think we are going to try to DIY it too! Hope ours turn out as good as yours, these are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing your photo shoot, perfect setting . . . mom, dad and adorable Emma . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. gah! so gorgeous!! Christmas card perfect! :) i have asked my dad to take some family pics of us this weekend and i'm already a little stressed about the ordeal. maybe i should try your method instead. i have such a hard time getting us focussed when i use the tripod but i typically use to auto timer. i need to try a remote instead. well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the pictures are beautiful. Just love the trees and color this year. My favorite is also the "relaxed" one. Little Emma with a big smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, as are your boots! Do tell where you got them - Frye?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really a sweet post and fun to see the "process".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you find Emma's darling navy mary janes? It's so hard to find classic navy toddler shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them! The remote has got to be better than hitting the self timer and running over quickly to pose. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy adorable post! A great family photo shoot!

    xxKate
    kateandviolet.com

    ReplyDelete

The Everyday Occasions Store:
JSHMenu1
BlogSideBox1
let's stay in touch

Newsletter:

HomeEntertainingExpertHeader1
m5
pinterest
twitter
instagram
email
rss feed
facebook
IMG9134
my tablet +
IMG8814
spring table settings
lemon meringue cupcakes
IMG6730
IMG8844
linen tea towels for spring
IMG7170
creamware
IMG11
IMG7080
glass spice containers
small baskets for easter gifts
spring
IMG7062
IMG8861
IMG8740
IMG7164
IMG3768
IMG8775
IMG8722
ribbon collection
IMG8760
moss for planted pots
baking
baking pantry organizing
IMG7112
Lemon & fruit layer cake
IMG4492
IMG6949
spring
IMG8718
my favorite spring
IMG5
breakfast
IMG5717
Lilac centerpiece in a bowl
IMG2598
moltencakes03
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
miss emma
morelchicken03
lemoncake
lemon butter cake
my dinner

everyday home entertaining and ifestyle expert Jenny2014headshot