CinnamonRolls
New!  Printable Recipes
IMG7242 IMG6259
gingerbred cookies
holiday copper cookie cutters
IMG3445
IMG5
gift wrap collection
candle
IMG6032
Free Shipping with Gift Cards!
ribbon collection
IMG6775
stocking
festive tissue paper
IMG6743
linens & throws
linen tea towel
IMG6401
baking packaging
IMG7134
chocolate cinnamon rolls gift
candlecolorsphoto1
candle
tour our

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Oven-Baked Steak Nachos | Game Day Favorites



The secret to great looking party food is abundance.  When I'm putting together a platter of any kind (even at a casual gameday party), I try to make it as abundant as possible.  I know there are a lot of trends that present food in minimal style, but that goes against the way we inherently think about (and crave) food.  I always want our guests to feel like they've been invited to indulge in an endless buffet of tempting treats - and the best way to do this is with full, bountiful platters of beautiful food.



Yep, I'm talking about Nachos.  I know, a pretty fancy intro to one of the most basic appetizers of all time.  However, I think most people forget about fixing nachos at home.  They are the perfect bountiful looking appetizer to put out for a game day party... and verrrry simple.

That's what entertaining is all about, right?  Easy food that everyone loves... and whether or not we want to admit it - we all love a huge pile of nachos.  It might not be a slow-roasted beef tenderloin, but it is still an indulgence.

I make mine in layers so each chip is covered with melted cheese (one of Mike's requests), and then I top it with sliced steak, black beans and more cheese, then bake it in the oven.  Finally, I top it with homemade pico, sweet corn and cilantro to add a fresh (I won't kid myself and say healthy...) element.  

oven-baked 
Steak Nachos
serves a crowd


New! Printable Recipes, here.

1/2 lb. Steak
Taco/Baja/Fajita Seasoning
1 bag of tortilla chips
Cheddar Cheese
Monterey Jack Cheese
Black Beans
Fresh Corn
Pico de Gallo (recipe here)
Cilantro
Green Onions

Coat the steak in seasoning.  Grill until medium rare - about 3 minutes on each side.  Let rest for 5 minutes, then slice thinly.




First layer of chips.


Layer of shredded cheese.


Second layer of chips + Monterey Jack Cheese.


Black Beans


Cheddar Cheese


Sliced Steak


This is a perfect medium rare - you can use flank steak, strip or sirloin.  Just slice it as thin as you can so it is easy to eat.

Pop it a 350 degree the oven for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.


Then top with the pico de gallo (recipe, here, but you can also use store-bought) and sweet corn.  For the corn, I just cut kernels off of the ears of corn - no cooking necessary.


Add fresh cilantro and sliced green onions for extra freshness.


Deee-lissssh-usssh, as Emma would say. 

5 comments:

  1. Speaking of Emma, I have missed seeing photos of her. Would love to see an update soon. Please? :-)

    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love nachos and this will be one of the first versions I prepare for a USC football game! Thanks,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband would LOVE these! I'll have to try these for an easy Sunday afternoon dinner. Sometimes on game days we cheat a bit on dinner & have a heavy snack for dinner instead. These are perfect for those those kind of days!

    On another note...I'm hoping you may be able to give me a bit of advice. We are planning a trip out East for June 2014. We are hoping to surprise my Mom with a trip to Martha's Vineyard to celebrate what would have been our parents 50th Anniversary. Unfortunately my Father, is no longer with us. But we want to celebrate our parents & family as we would if he were still here to enjoy it. Sadly they never made it there together, but our Mother has dreamed of visiting for years. So...I'm hoping to obtain any advice on places to stay or things not to miss from a trusted source with great taste! Any MV advice Jenny?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan5:28 PM

    I think this is an easy question....what kind of dog is Mr. Darcy? All of a sudden I'm craving a dog and he looks like his breed/mix? is just what I'm hoping for. (Crazy old lady that I am!!!) Anyone? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanna try this tomorrow :) Thanks for sharing it here

    ReplyDelete

m38
The Everyday Occasions Store:
m15
m16
m18
m21
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
my email newsletter
rss feed
facebook
reindeer cookies
m37
IMG4146
m60
breakfast
m65
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
IMG6817
IMG6270
IMG4235
IMG6330
IMG6952
ribbon
IMG6
CinnamonRolls m36 m11 IMG4080 everyday
Subscribe