CinnamonRolls
New!  Printable Recipes
IMG7242 IMG6259
gingerbred cookies
holiday copper cookie cutters
IMG3445
IMG5
gift wrap collection
candle
IMG6032
Free Shipping with Gift Cards!
ribbon collection
IMG6775
stocking
festive tissue paper
IMG6743
linens & throws
linen tea towel
IMG6401
baking packaging
IMG7134
chocolate cinnamon rolls gift
candlecolorsphoto1
candle
tour our

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Emma's 1st Birthday Invitation | DIY Extra Thick Photo Invitation


Emma's 1st Birthday is just a couple of weeks away.  In a way, I can't believe she is going to be one, but then again, it feels like we've been parents for 5 years already!  It does seem like a lifetime away when we headed to the Emerson Hospital in Concord...



December birthdays are tricky.  Mike's birthday is the 7th and when he was younger his Mom always made sure that they celebrated his birthday before they decorated for Christmas - to make sure they didn't couple up the holidays.  No birthday photos in front of the tree.  


I feel like the 15th of December is a little too late to wait to decorate, so I am attempting to design her party with a 'winter wonderlandy, creamy, dreamy, candylandy" sorty of feel.  I wasn't sure how I was going to accomplish it, until I came across my source of inspiration...


Thanks to Paper-Source!  When I walked in the store, I thought this paper (that I used to line the opal shimmer envelopes) was the perfect inspiration for the party.  
Cute pink, red and green holiday cookies that look girly and feminine, without being too over the top "Christmas."


When looking at the pinholepress.com site for holiday cards, I noticed their extra thick side-striped cards.  I only needed 15 invitations, so I couldn't justify ordering them... so, I figured out how to make them.  Of course.


The photo doesn't quite do it justice, as my lens couldn't focus in enough, but as you can see (sort of), the card is triple thick with a layer of pink cardstock sandwiched between two cream cards.  It is all glued together, then cut to reveal the edging.

Here is the process!


I printed a front and back on the same cream sheet of cardstock.


BTW, isn't this the cutest set of Emma photos?!  Here is the original in BW.  They were taken on a whim in her high chair.  I photoshoped out the background and, boom, cutest ever invitation photos.  You can even see the applesauce all over her face and pj's : )


I cut out each photo, leaving a little edge.


Then ran the cards through my xyron sticker machine (also from Paper-Source).


I placed the front sticker on a sheet of pink cardstock...


Then the back sticker on the back, matching them up.  Then I cut out the entire card.



Stay tuned for more party details!

 Here is the easy-to-pin strip!

 

20 comments:

  1. Adorable pictures, Jenny! The December birthdays are stressful for sure (and I've got both girls there!) but I'm committed to giving them a special celebration every year that doesn't get eclipsed by Christmas. It's a lot, though! The invitations are really great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one… giftwithlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter's birthday is 12/23 and my husband's is 12/29. I love the invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! SOOOOO cute!! Happy B-day to Emma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That printed paper you found for the liner is so precious! And so is the adorable birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is so pretty and those pictures of Emma are adorable! And what a great idea, lining the pictures and pink cardstock like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a wonderful job on those invitations, very pretty and elegant! What a wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny I love this invitation and I LOVE your blog! Whenever you get the chance, it would be awesome and super helpful if you could do a post on organizing a closet full of clothes! My closet is pretty small and any organization tips would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:47 PM

    I'm with therese desilets - I would love to know how you keep things so tidy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:59 AM

    Thanks for your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you're a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back at some point. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!
    My blog post :: in

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:57 AM

    Just DARLING!I think this is the cutest birthday invitation I've ever seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the paper lining, you can never go wrong with paper source. Emerson was a wonderful place to have a baby (though I am a bit partial)!
    -Lindsey

    mymimiandjack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, these are just wonderful! My daughter is turning 5 on the 17th. It's hard planning a December birthday so close to Christmas, isn't it? We're doing a Wizard of Oz party this time. Can't wait to see details!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:03 PM

    Beautiful pictures and invitation!
    Since you have posted about your camera before....did you use Photoshop Elements to remove the background or Photoshop? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny2:42 PM

      I used photoshop. I don't have elements - what is that?!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous3:45 PM

      Thanks for answering my question! Photoshop Elements is a less expensive ( under $100 ) and less robust version of Photoshop. I don't know if Elements would allow me to Photoshop out the background as perfectly as you did! I am a beginner! Thanks for your help!

      Delete
  16. Jenny ~ oh my gooodness, those are sweet! what an adorable keepsake for her too. happy birthday, emma!!!
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenny, this is just brilliant. I love how you created your own invitation. Cannot believe Emma is one!!! so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been looking for some ideas for birthday invitations for my dad's birthday on June 29th. i wish to create my own too. thanks for giving some ideas. Keep it up and more power on your blog.!

    ReplyDelete

m38
The Everyday Occasions Store:
m15
m16
m18
m21
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
my email newsletter
rss feed
facebook
reindeer cookies
m37
IMG4146
m60
breakfast
m65
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
IMG6817
IMG6270
IMG4235
IMG6330
IMG6952
ribbon
IMG6
CinnamonRolls m36 m11 IMG4080 everyday
Subscribe