spring
tour our
spring copper cookie cutters
creamware
willow vase & candle collection
baking

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Patio Revealed | Uncovering a Slate Patio

 

Last spring when we moved into this house, this is the "patio" that greeted us. 


In fact, the woman that owned the house didn't even know that there was a "patio" there...


But when I saw it, I looked past the years of dirt and sand and saw possibility.  So, one day when Mike went to work, I got out my power washer and shovel...


What a pleasant surprise!  We didn't even have to patch anywhere to complete the flagstone patio that was laid however many years ago.



It is not perfect by any stretch.  It is a little sandy, a little rocky and has weeds that frequently sprout up... and don't get me started on the ants.   Buuuuttt, for the small amount of work it took to create, it is perfect for the moment.  I'm so glad there was no hauling of rocks, clearing, digging, leveling and watering of grass (like we created at our last house!).  I'm sure some day I'll have the time to really re-address the patio, but for the meantime I just love having a place outside for us to lounge, eat and entertain.

The furniture is from http://www.worldmarket.com/home/index.jsp - I got it last year... not sure if they still have it!  I got the striped pillows from Restoration Hardware last year, too.

For the complete menu and all of the recipes from my Ladies Night Patio Party, click here!

12 comments:

  1. I never would have guessed that the patio was so buried when you inherited it. Nice work, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a transformation - it looks absolutely fantastic. You are clearly a woman of vision - my first instinct would have been to cover over (and by that I mean get my husband to do it - lol!) Well done you for seeing the potential AND for doing it all yourself!
    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful. Forrest Gump was right, you just never know what you're going to get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Where did you get your patio furniture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so sweet great find huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a charming little place in the french countryside :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted a slate patio. Now how nice to see it and dig it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful!! Don't you just love it when a little bit of hard work pays off so big!! What a lovely spot to entertain. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice surprise to uncover! You've created a lovely little spot for outdoor entertaining. The furniture and serving trays look perfect as does your menu!

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Can you please tell us where you got your patio furniture?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jenny what a great find!!! You guys did a fabulous job in "unearthing" it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like a bit more of a patio in our backyard. I wonder if "making" instead of discovering a slate patio would be terribly difficult? Tilling up grass, then laying slate on evened out dirt? I would love something easy and not terribly expensive.

    ReplyDelete

The Everyday Occasions Store:
JSHMenu1
BlogSideBox1
let's stay in touch

Newsletter:

HomeEntertainingExpertHeader1
m5
pinterest
twitter
instagram
email
rss feed
facebook
IMG9134
my tablet +
IMG8814
spring table settings
lemon meringue cupcakes
IMG6730
IMG8844
linen tea towels for spring
IMG7170
creamware
IMG11
IMG7080
glass spice containers
small baskets for easter gifts
spring
IMG7062
IMG8861
IMG8740
IMG7164
IMG3768
IMG8775
IMG8722
ribbon collection
IMG8760
moss for planted pots
baking
baking pantry organizing
IMG7112
Lemon & fruit layer cake
IMG4492
IMG6949
spring
IMG8718
my favorite spring
IMG5
breakfast
IMG5717
Lilac centerpiece in a bowl
IMG2598
moltencakes03
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
miss emma
morelchicken03
lemoncake
lemon butter cake
my dinner

everyday home entertaining and ifestyle expert Jenny2014headshot