ChocolateMoltenCakes
ciderdonuts1
Fall baking
orange striped cupcake papers
packaging
IMG7
fall baking gallery
IMG6
gift wrapping candle
IMG5
baking
tour our
follow our home addition project

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Vanilla Syrup | Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup


Lately I've been obsessed with Vanilla.  Not just any vanilla, but real vanilla from vanilla beans.  I think it all started when we made a creamy vanilla custard on Christmas Day for dessert.  I couldn't stop licking the bowl.  I could not stop.  Yesterday, I made a Vanilla Cream Sauce with Meringue Clouds for a dessert feature I was working on for another blog for which I contribute (I'll share the photos and link shortly).  There is something about cooked vanilla that sends me into a tizzy.

With my new found obsession with all things vanilla, I thought I'd try some vanilla coffee K-Cups... after all, I love vanilla lattes.  Nope.  I should have known!  The "French Vanilla" flavor was nothing like the warm flavor of real vanilla.  Suddenly, I remembered an amazing vanilla bean syrup I put in my latte at Natasha's Mulberry & Mott in Kansas City (left : photo of her peppermint & orange syrup).  So, this morning I made a batch of Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup to accompany morning coffee... it was everything I hoped it would be!  Real, warm, slightly sweet vanilla.  Ummmm. 

Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup

warm fuzzy in a bottle


2 cups of sugar
2 cups of water
1 vanilla bean

Scrape the beans from the vanilla bean.  In a saucepan, mix together sugar, water and seeds from the vanilla bean.  Cook on low heat until it simmers.  Cook for 8-10 minutes until the liquid has reduced. 


Cooking in the saucepan with the bean seeds and the bean.


Bottled up!

8 comments:

  1. I've made the same experiences on christmas day with a selfmade vanilla custard for dessert! Real vanilla from vanilla beans is so much better than the fake ones. And now I have to try this real vanilla bean coffee syrup :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanilla is amazing but peppermint is my obsession! Do you have a recipie for peppermint syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm making this right now - trying it with raw sugar. hoping i find in the morning that it's every bit as delicious as i'm anticipating! thanks for the fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. also, i have that same coffee cup. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:41 PM

    How do you keep it? Does it need to be in the refrigerator? Can you let me know how to make it with lemon.... Thanks LU

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:58 PM

    Hi Jenny - when you make your vanilla bean syrup - how do you store it and how long would it typically last? Thanks for all of the great tips. I always look forward to your next post. : ) Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  7. marybeth8:06 PM

    Hi there
    This syrup looks delicious! I need to use up my vanilla beans so this is definitely on my to do list...how do you suggest this to be stored and how long does it keep?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does this need to be refrigerated?

    ReplyDelete

m38

The Everyday Occasions Store:
m15
m16
m18
IMG23
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
my email newsletter
rss feed
facebook
my tablet +
m37
IMG36352
m45
m65
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
miss emma
thanksgiving
fall decor
IMG8
IMG9
fall dinner
chili1
squashdip1
My fall
DIYThanksgivingCenterpiec1
Fall table
pecan1
thanksgiving
shortribs1
Fall dinner Recipe gallry
IMG10
fall entertaining
IMG11
linen Tea Towels &
IMG12
chestnut & fig
IMG13
my favorite fall candles
houseplancabinets1
IMG14
IMG15
Halloween
IMG16
IMG17
fall packaging
IMG18
Orange linen
pumpkin tags
IMG19
batsugarcookies1
bat sugar cookies
IMG20
halloween sprinkles
IMG21
trick or treat tags
IMG22
new!  printable recipes
SHOP
the everyday occasions halloween collection...
ChocolateMoltenCakes everyday new!  printable recipes
Subscribe