spring
tour our
spring copper cookie cutters
creamware
willow vase & candle collection
baking

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Chocolate Sheet Cake in a Pie Dish | Warm Chocolate Icing Recipe


This is what the cake looked like after I took 2-3 photos... couldn't resist
Everyone's heard of Texas Sheet Cake, right?  If you haven't heard the name, you've had it at countless potlucks and family dinners, I'm sure.  It is a very moist chocolate cake topped with a generous portion of chocolate frosting poured on while the cake is still hot.  A lesser informed person might even think it was a frosted brownie.

This is what I call an 'eating' cake.  She's not a looker, but oh is she good!  
I love it so much, I could eat an entire Texas-sized pan full of it, so I decided to half the recipe so I would have a more manageable portion tempting me all week.   I baked it in a pie dish to make it a little dressier than a brownie/sheet cake.  You may have noticed that I like to use pretty pie dishes instead of square bakeware any chance I get... and sometimes I don't use a pie dish when I bake pies, ala peach crostata... I know, what a rebel!

The icing on this cake is really the star of the show.  It is almost like liquid fudge, poured on a warm cake, then the top hardens into a crust.  I can remember when my Mom would make this (sheet cake version) and we would run our fingers around the edge of the icing as the cake was cooling - the icing would melt over where we had stolen our swipes.  See, I told you this cake is perfect.


Chocolate Cake : 

1 cup flour 
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 whole beaten eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Chocolate Icing : 

1 stick butter
tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 cups powdered sugar (desired consistency)


For the cake, begin by combining flour sugar and salt in the bowl of your KitchenAid.  Then, in a saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter.  Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa, stir, add boiling  and cook for 30 seconds.  Remove from heat.  Pour the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients.  Add buttermilk, eggs, soda and vanilla and gently stir together until combined.  Do not over beat.


Pour into a round pie dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until cake tester comes out almost clean.  I like to under bake this cake to make sure it is nice and moist. 


While the cake is baking, prepare the icing.  In a saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter.  Remove from heat and add cocoa.  Stir in milk vanilla and powdered sugar.  Start with 3 cups of powdered sugar, then add more if you'd like it to be thicker.  Pour icing over warm cake and spread out.  Let it cool slightly before serving... if you can wait that long.

6 comments:

  1. This looks divine. The classics are usually the best. I found you through Kinfolk and I can't wait to read up. I'm already loving your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Have to try it!

    Kisses from Hong Kong,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chocolate sheet cake, the only difference in my family's recipe is we add cinnamon to the cake and icing! It's divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved this cake! It was a staple in our apartment in college. The only difference was we added pecan halves to the icing...and you are right...it is so like "liquid fudge". Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many eggs does this recipe need? You have listed: 1 whole beaten eggs. Then in the recipe you said to add eggs (plural--more than one). I'd like to try the recipe soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made this for my dad for fathers day! He loves chocolate so I knew this would be perfect! Love your blog

    ReplyDelete

The Everyday Occasions Store:
JSHMenu1
BlogSideBox1
let's stay in touch

Newsletter:

HomeEntertainingExpertHeader1
m5
pinterest
twitter
instagram
email
rss feed
facebook
IMG9134
my tablet +
IMG8814
spring table settings
lemon meringue cupcakes
IMG6730
IMG8844
linen tea towels for spring
IMG7170
creamware
IMG11
IMG7080
glass spice containers
small baskets for easter gifts
spring
IMG7062
IMG8861
IMG8740
IMG7164
IMG3768
IMG8775
IMG8722
ribbon collection
IMG8760
moss for planted pots
baking
baking pantry organizing
IMG7112
Lemon & fruit layer cake
IMG4492
IMG6949
spring
IMG8718
my favorite spring
IMG5
breakfast
IMG5717
Lilac centerpiece in a bowl
IMG2598
moltencakes03
chocolate molten cakes in cupcake
miss emma
morelchicken03
lemoncake
lemon butter cake
my dinner

everyday home entertaining and ifestyle expert Jenny2014headshot