IMG19
"We are thankful" placecards
linens cotton
new! printable recipes
new!  boxed
follow our home project
miss emma
IMG18
candle
packaging
tour our
ciderdonuts2
apple cider

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kitchens | The Most Amazing Kitchens | Kitchen Inspiration for Classic & Functional Spaces

I'm dreaming of a White Kitchen... white painted cabinetry, and white carrera marble, that is.  This week, I went to the Boston Design Center - a.k.a. interior design mega world of Boston.  Upholstery, bolts of fabric, framed prints, mirrors, and fantastic kitchens.  My favorite showroom contained two kitchens that I completely fell for.

My design strategy for a kitchen is pretty simple.  It is not a space you decorate.  I don't like patterns, bright colors or anything that isn't functional.  For me, a kitchen must look and feel functional - like a workshop.  It must look clean and uncluttered, it must have a big island, and it feel inspiring to you.

KITCHEN #1 : Classic Cream with Butcher Block, Glass Front Cabinets, and Rustic Accents


I'm going to have Mike make a mini version of this island for our new house - it is going to house our built-in refrigerators. 


I love the shinny nickel plated hardware - very classic without being trendy.



Again, I like the polished nickel fixtures - especially this raised faucet.  I love the butcher block counter with the apron front soaking sink.


Another shot of the display cabinet - this shot also shows the grey paint on the wall.  This is a similar color to what I had on our Fairway house.   I love the old-fashioned clasps on the upper cabinets.

KITCHEN #2 : Old Fashioned Classic
 

This kitchen reminded me of Martha Stewart's Skylands kitchen in Maine.  The wood gives a feeling of warmth and it feels like it has been there forever - a good sign that it will not soon go out of style.  It feels like a kitchen built in the 1920's out of which the staff cooks grand meals for the family of the house.


There was a built in butcher on the island above either warming drawers or refrigerator drawers - I forgot to look.

Double thick marble - I don't know if I am a fan of this "fancy" beveled countertop, but it is probably well-suited to this grand kitchen.


This is built like an old refrigerator - old school icebox style.  See this article on Martha Stewart's original icebox at Skylands. 


This is the subzero refrigerator and freezer.


The island is a display and work area.  Can you imagine turning out pies and sugar cookies on this thing during the Holidays?  You know it is a good kitchen if it can conjure up visions of Holiday baking.   One problem - I don't like the light fixtures.  Sorry - the only bad thing!


The magnificent range and hood.

Share links to your favorite kitchens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

m38
The Everyday Occasions Store:
m15
m16
m18
IMG3650
home entertaining and ifestyle expert
pinterest
twitter
instagram
my email newsletter
rss feed
facebook
m30
the best mashed potatoes
IMG20
Roasted Vegetable platter
IMG21
download my thanksgiving worksheets
PreviewofThanksgivingWorksheet2
IMG22
kale salad
IMG23
IMG24
pecan tart & vanilla bean
toffee spiced
spicecupcakes2
cinnamonscones2
cinnamon, maple & pecan scones
IMG25
DIYThanksgivingCenterpiec2
pumpkin floral
JennyWholetable2
Fall Table
IMG26
plaid linen
IMG27
chestnut & fig
wheat collection
IMG28
IMG6032
IMG30
linen Tea Towels &
IMG31
IMG32
my thanksgiving planning guide
bathroominspiration1
Untitled1
AppleCinnamonScones1
m36 m11 IMG3619 everyday PreviewofThanksgivingWorksheet2 AppleCinnamonScones1
Subscribe